April 22, 2023 at 8:00 pm
After “lifting” their name from a poem by Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Rex Fowler and Neal Shulman spent a lifetime making music together as the folk/rock duo, Aztec Two-Step, until Neal’s retirement in 2018. Originating from a chance meeting at an “open mic night” in a Boston folk club in 1971, Rex & Neal’s albums helped usher the music of the 60’s into the 1970’s and beyond, leaving an indelible mark on the musical genre. For over forty years, Rex and Neal impressed audiences with intelligent songwriting, dazzling acoustic lead guitar, and soaring two-part harmonies.
|Buy Aztec Two-Step 2.0 tickets or Buy Season Tickets|
Meet Aztec Two-Step 2.0.
- Rex Fowler (Acoustic Guitar, Harmonica, Lead Vocals) – Neal retired in 2018, but Rex continues to expand the band’s legacy with fan favorites, forgotten gems and new compositions with the members of his new ensemble.
- Dodie Pettit (Acoustic & Electric Guitars, Keyboards, Vocals) – Dodie is an accomplished songwriter and recording artist, among her many talents. She is a former Principal Dancer for the American Repertory Dance Company, and had a 15-year career on Broadway as an original cast member of The Phantom of the Opera as well as appearing in CATS and Titanic. Dodie first met Rex as an ATS session player in 1980. She and Rex were married in August 2018 and she is now the heart and soul of the new ensemble.
- Steven “Muddy” Roues (Upright Bass, Blues Harmonica, Vocals) – Muddy joined the band after Neal and longtime bassist Fred Holman retired in 2018. Mud plays standup bass, and along with his bluesy baritone vocals and harmonica riffs, gives the band a rich and distinctive sound. Along with ATS, he continues to perform his original music regularly with The Roues Brothers, among others.
- Peter Hohmeister (Drums, Percussion, Vocals) – Peter met ATS at a cozy cabaret in Westport, CT when he was sitting in with an exquisite jazz quartet led by Joe Meo. Over the years Peter has performed as a member of several Connecticut orchestral and theater programs including the Hartford Symphony. He is currently the principal percussionist with the Norwalk Symphony. Peter’s nuanced and versatile drumming style is a perfect fit for ATS 2.0’s diverse musical canon.
- Joe Meo (Tenor & Soprano Sax, Flute, Clarinet & Vocals) – Joe began playing music at the age of 8, when his first instrument, a clarinet, fell from a car and landed in his front yard. He has played in pit orchestras for Broadway shows, as well as in rock, funk and jazz bands. Joe is the newest member of ATS 2.0, adding virtuoso solos and supporting, and has been known to step out and sing lead on a song or two as well.